Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chemo Brain?

I like to make yogurt out of milk that is just ready to turn...not sweet enough to put on cereal but not actually spoiled yet. I especially love to use raw milk for this, but don't have a source at the moment. Still, the milk I buy is organic and I love yogurt, without which I could probably live without dairy, and as long as I continue to eat milk products, I'm loving cheese too. Anyway, yesterday I took most of a half gallon of turning milk and made yogurt in the crock pot. It's easy, especially when spending the entire day at home, the way we chose to spend our holiday. The final step in the process is to wrap the pot in a heavy towel and leave in a warm spot for 12 hours or more. I usually leave it in the oven with the light on, just warm enough to ferment very successfully. Gotta remember that it's in there, though. And today, despite mentally noting this morning that I would need to remember to take it out when I got home from work, meaning to leave a note on the oven but not doing it, I came home, took a nap, got up to make dinner, turned on the oven, and didn't even think about it until I smelled the smoke. I was fortunate enough to avoid a fire (whew!) but I did melt the electric cord. I turned on the exhaust fan and opened the windows in the house and went to sit outside on the screen porch for an hour or so waiting for the fumes to clear. I got just about all of the plastic off of the oven racks and floor, but will have to scrub the dregs of it. Didn't hurt the yogurt a bit, but I will need a new crock pot!

Is that a chemo brained act, or just normal distraction? Actually, my interpretation of chemo brain is very word oriented. So I think my lapse today was just typical dumb behavior that could have been disastrous but fortunately was not. I feel sure I won't make that particular mistake again.

No comments: