Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Me" day

I woke today feeling a bit agitated after not sleeping much. Dave had to get up early for his big work day. He teaches Mondays and Saturdays with the weekends being the most popular. And with his poor sleep and frequent coughing, I did not rest well either last night. So I decided that rather than going to yoga this morning, I would work out in the afternoon and run errands in the early part of the day.

Got my tires tended to, my eyebrows shaped up and the dog bathed, some minor repairs to the screen porch and a variety of other things handled that have been waiting attention. It felt good to just kind of follow my whim today. But mid-afternoon as I prepared to leave for the gym to get sweaty, I suddenly had a hit of that occasional total exhaustion that I used to feel on a regular basis during chemo and that still overtakes me now and then. I took a nap. Spent this evening shopping, picking out an IPhone and chatting with friends I ran into along the way. Got 15 minutes in on the elliptical before the gym closed...could've sworn they close at 8 rather than 7.

I think I want to revisit a mainly vegetarian diet again. I did that for a while after initial diagnosis and lost a lot of weight, felt really good. I'm challenged though in meal preparation - I'm just not used to planning vegetarian menus. But if I can get Dave to go along with it, I think he would really benefit from it too.  That is bound to be a tough sell, and I think right now, he needs to eat anything and everything that appeals to him and that he can get down. He's skinny as a rail. How can he enjoy the wonders of Rome with no appetite? He certainly can't go with no energy!

Regarding the trip, I achieved peace with the prospect of cancelling it today. It's interesting how some things that plague us can transition to become no big deal. I suggested to Dave that it might be the right choice, and the response was a basic sigh of relief. I think he still wants to try to do this as scheduled, but I gave him 5 days to have a dramatic turnaround or I don't think I want to go. Save it for fall. I'll try to arrange to have the tickets credited - I know they can't be refunded. But I'd rather do that then have the chance that we will go over and have a rotten time.

So I'm hoping that I'll get some sleep tonight while springing forward. Hope you do too, dear reader, whoever you are.

No comments: