Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One week out

It's hard to believe it's been a week since the surgery. I'm still using the generic Percocet to sleep as my pain seems to crescendo around 8 or 9 pm with only momentary elevations earlier. During the day, it's just Ibuprofen. I'd like to get off of all of it, but I'm just not quite ready. And with so many pills to take - the antibiotic 4 x per day, 400 mgs of Ibuprofen every 2-4 hours, senna laxative morning and evening, Percocet 1 or 2 times at night, my usual vitamin and mineral suppliments (sans E until no more bleeding) - I'm keeping a log of each med at each time that it's taken, as I just can't keep up with it by memory. I'm afraid I'll miss a dose, or double up, and I really want to be conscientious about the narcotics and the antibiotics. Simethicone for gas pain was a great suggestion from a friend as well, as increased intrabdominal pressure at this time can lead to complications and spike the pain; I hear it's the source of much misery after pelvic surgeries, and I really haven't had a big problem with it.

Honestly,  it's not the intensity,  just the location of the pain - the soft underbelly, that vulnerable core area  - that makes it so difficult to bear. I've referred to it as "creepy" pain, not terrifically high most of the time but occasionally like a sudden knife in the gut, making me feel pulled toward the fetal position, protective of the vitals. I have to remind myself to stand up straight and tall, and I have increased understanding of the reasons that so many of my patients need postural coaching. 

I got bathed and dressed today and read an entire novel, a book with some very hot, sexy passages, and was happy to discover that I still respond to that type of literature as I did in the past, confirming that ovary-lesness will not prevent me being stimulated by passionate images, and reaffirming that the human body's main sexual organ is the brain.

No comments: