Sunday, January 23, 2011

Outed at the Supermarket

This was written on Friday:

It's been a hectic week; 3 of my co-workers are in Key West taking a myofascial release training. I bet they're having a ball. Wish I had felt up to going with them, but I was still too puny and worried about Dave until it was too late, and I don't have a compression sleeve yet, which I do want to wear when I fly and I should have already been wearing for yoga and upper body exercise. Just haven't gotten around to getting it.

Anyway, I am taking advantage of the ABC (After Breast Cancer) program at my local YMCA. I met with the personal trainer tonight after work for my first visit and realized how out of shape I've become...I had been feeling a lot better about myself, but oh well...anyway, now I'll see her for several weeks in a row and hopefully get a kick in the ass toward that goal. So I stopped at the grocery store after the session to pick up a healthy sack of dinner items and as I began the check out, a woman with shoulder-length red hair followed me into the checkout line, got my attention and blurted "Did you have breast cancer? I just got my hair back!"

I was taken aback...didn't think I was so obviously sporting the post-chemo do and look, but she was very eager to share that fact that she is a survivor. Her intention was to celebrate and support, but I felt outed. I got over it and asked when she had finished treatment -2 years ago- and how she is doing. She was friendly, but it was the kind of approach I would never use with a stranger. An odd way to approach someone at the check out counter to start a conversation, but I suppose any friendly outstretched hand should be welcomed, but again, it's not my style to be so blunt. Good luck to her, to all of us. But I'm getting tired of the branding, starting to avoid pink. She didn't ask "did you do chemo?". It was specifically breast cancer she inquired about. I guess that particular diagnosis is too too common.

No comments: