Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day after infusion #4

Okay, I can't believe I did this: I had Dave drive me to work today so that I would not have to wait alone after work, getting more and more tired as I did after the last infusion 2 weeks ago, for my Nulasta shot. So Dave picked me up, we went to Gilda's club to pick up some papers I was supposed to take home, we went to eat lunch, and then we went shopping and home. At 7:30 pm, talking to my Dad on the phone, I had the blinding realization that I had completely forgotten the important final part of the chemo, the Nulasta shot. They have told me that it is supposed to be taken from 24 -48 hours after the end of the chemo, I'll be pushing it. Drat-I'll go first thing in the morning and it will be about 42 hours.

I'm feeling pretty good today though.  A bit queasy, a bit tired, but pretty good. Just chemo-brained to have done something like forgetting my shot. I'll go in as early as I can tomorrow to get it. Rats.

I am trying to figure out a near-by getaway for the days of the 21st-23rd; a little time in a hotel for a change of sceanery, messing around in antique stores, eating out, just getting away. I don't know a good place, and we can't be gone long, even if I can get the time off of work. Dave has students on Saturdays and Mondays. But it would be nice to change the routine.

Yesterday my doctor told me that my white blood cell counts are doing great, but my red cells continue to drop. That's why I'm so tired. The iron I'm taking, she says, will not help with my anemia as it is not iron-deficient, it's just chemo doing its job. But I notice that, placebo effect or no, it does make me feel better. Along with B-vitamins, if I can stomach them.

Today I learned that my latest genetic test, checking a rearrangement of the BRCA I & II genes, came back negative. So although my family cancer history is so strong toward women's cancers, I don't seem to have the actual genetic predisposition. This is good news, although still leaves me wondering how this happened to me. There is another test, for a condition called "Cowdens" syndrome, that is recommended for me, but I am not sure if I will take the test or not. I'll have to learn more about it, and decide just how much surveillance I feel is adequate, or even recommended, as every condition scanned for is anxiety producing.

Well, anyway, today was a good day. And that's always good news.

No comments: