Saturday, July 3, 2010

Independence Day Eve

I shopped til I dropped today. Had planned to stop by a party at the home of a friend from work, and then discovered that I don't have her phone number or address, so it's another evening hanging out at the house. That's fine; I'll spend some time on the back patio again, and will enjoy Dave's company, and watch the prologue of the Tour de France. There are several fireworks shows planned for this evening anyway, and Xena will be nervous. It's good to be here.

I made a holiday meal of grass fed hamburgers and hot dogs. I am still a bottomless pit food wise, and trying to avoid eating a large amount of meat however organic and healthfully raised, and I'm still trying to keep sugar under control and at a minimum. But I've slacked off on some of the nutritional stringency because it can make staying adequately nourished a chore, and anxiety-producing. Finding balance in all things, as I am striving to do, I choose to give myself permission to eat what I crave, although I know there are many friends of mine who will fear my doom  because of it. I'm more concerned about the amount of bread I ate today, in the form of a pumpernickel bagel, and whole wheat hot dog and hamburger buns. That breaks down to simple sugar, and I consider that more risky  than eating organic, grass-fed beef, particularly while anemic. It was a rare day for me. I pushed the boat out with a treat (the bagel), something I seem to be doing about twice a month. I suspect the benefits of my usual diet and avoidance of spiking my insulin levels will outweigh the detriment of the occasional day when I eat cake. Oh yeah...I did that 3 days ago...guess I better buckle down.

I have head stubble still, I thought it would all fall out but it so far is stubbornly hanging in and growing, albeit at a glacial pace. I still have pubic hair, though far less than pre-chemo, and lip fuzz and sparser-than-normal eyebrows. I have expected every hair on my body to go, and there are still plenty of time and treatments for that to happen, but so far no. Interesting. I sure don't have to shave my legs as often as I used to. I'm having headaches fairly frequently lately and they are a more challenging symptom than the hairlessness. I don't really think they are chemo related, but more likely a sinus irritation, or resulting from a lack of caffeine.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi, I just found your blog, what a journey you are on! I would love to share a video I created with you, it was in honor of my mother's 23 year battle with metastasized breast cancer, during which she was in active treatment for most of those years. It is a yoga dvd designed exclusively for women with breast cancer, designed to use the healing power of yoga, breath and meditation to help beat the big c! If you would like a free copy, please e-mail me your address at info@yogaforcancer, or check out my website at www.yogaforcancer.com. Blessings on your journey and namaste...

Kate