Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Foot

Written last night, on Saturday. 

I'm having trouble with my right foot. Partly because I always put on some calluses when I start wearing summer shoes; those little blisters and sore spots are not too troubling, but there is a big, empty blister on the side of my 4th toe where the hard bone of the pinky has irritated it, and it's not healing. I guess it's the result of wearing closed-toes shoes all the time due to my job's requirements. I showed the spot to the oncologist last time I saw her and she insisted that I switch to open toed shoes, so I'm wearing them basically all the time now, even at work, which is frowned upon when providing patient care. My doctor had to write it as a prescription so that I can be confident to avoid any kind of disciplinary action. It seems to be helping, but the spot is still sore and the toe is kind-of black and blue. I guess I'll have to see a podiatrist if it is still persisting after we get back from our get-away next week. I'll have to be very careful while we're gone, and won't put my feet in the lake. If anyone out there knows how to treat something like this, please let me know.

Although this slow toe healing suggests that I'm still experiencing a lack of fast growing cells, others of the type seem to be doing okay. The hair stubble on my head seems to be a bit stubblier, some little nicks and scratches on my arms and legs that came from who knows where are healing in a fairly normal manner, and my mouth seems to be doing okay-no sores, and greatly diminished pain from the neuralgia I have experienced there for a couple of years now. I'm hopeful, confident rather, that the chemo has done it's job on any circulating cancer cells, though. And I'm hoping for fur on my head soon.

No comments: