Thursday, July 29, 2010

First Taxol

Yesterday: Just got home from my first of twelve weekly Taxol infusions. I think it went fine, and not as scary as the AC, but they started me off with 50 mgs of Benedryl, with which I have always had a hard time, and it made me feel squirmy and then flat knocked me out! I'm coming to now, and feeling okay. This is supposed to be easier to tolerate than AC, so here's hoping. Will keep you posted.

Today: Well, today I feel just fine. Worked my short day with no problem except a bit of chemo-brainedness, struggling to find words during documentation, being somewhat slow to formulate statements. It's easy and convenient to blame that on chemo, but truthfully, it's something that had been happening a bit before treatment began. I have great energy today-walked the dog tonight for the first time in several days, and am finally getting back to this blog as well. I'm hoping that Taxol will go like this, that I will feel more like my old self again, without nausea, having energy to take on some projects and get back to exercising more regularly. I was given a clean bill of heart health and told that it's safe for me to get back to vigorous exercise again. I was cautioned against it during the AC treatment due to its potential cardiotoxicity. With my heart intact, I'm eager to return to it. 

I called and spoke to one my nurses today, Glenda, who seems to always be on top of everything and very helpful with details. I told her about my problem with the Benedryl yesterday and she said she would look into what else is available as an allergic reaction preventative. She said I could just take a Claritin, which I have also had some trouble with in the past, but I may try that and see how it goes. She said she would research what else is available, but apparently some people have severe allergic reactions to the carrier used to infuse Taxol,  potentially life-threatening, and oncology centers will not administer it without an antihistamine of some sort.  

I'm starting to think about future projects too; trying to avoid thoughts of "what if" and nervousness about future checkups. I keep saying I'm fine, I just had a little tumor. I truly believe that, but still have the nervous feeling about putting my breasts to another imaging test. And when those nervous feelings come up, I pretty much squash them. But I do need to start planning and to get in touch with my doctor to schedule the next MRI. I sure am tired of seeing doctors, much as I appreciate them.


No comments: