Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Racing toward the future

I had a great birthday weekend. Hard to believe that the next weekend is nearly upon us. And now it's the eve of Dave's birthday, and the eve of Thanksgiving too. We were feeling spontaneous tonight when I got home from work and went back to Table 3, the new restaurant we tried on Friday night for my birthday (and for Grace's) and loved. It's mid-priced, but still too expensive for us to make a habit of running off there. I loved the ambiance, and the mussels in a delicate tarragon white wine broth. Trouble with mussels in delicious broth is the amount of bread I eat with them. I'll worry about that later.

Getting closer to S-day. Gotta arrive at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning for my 7:30 surgery-the first one of the day, happily. I like getting my doctor when he is as fresh as possible. I'll spend some time on Sunday packing a suitcase with some cozy socks and slippers, silky pj bottoms, warm flannel shirts and the special camisole that provides some compression and has removable pouches to hold the drains that I'll have to deal with for the first week or so afterward.

I also plan to take a few pictures of my current bust line over the next few days. I had wanted to try to find a professional to take some shots, but really didn't have time to even pick up the phone to call around. It's probably better this way; the angles are limited when photographing with the computer, but I don't have to worry about the discomfort of baring my breasts to someone else.

Our Thanksgiving plans are to have dinner at a local steakhouse; when I made the reservation 3 weeks ago, they stated that they did not expect to be busy. Now they have called and told me that the reservation has been moved to 6:15 from 6 pm and that we should expect to wait. Turns out that they will be swamped, and 10 percent of all Americans are expected to eat Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant this year. And here I thought we were doing something kind of unique. It's getting so hard to be creative! Dave is looking forward to a low key day tomorrow though, so this is perfect. Two dinners out in a row...how decadent. But we will be eating home for quite a while, I think, after Monday, so this is a nice treat in advance of that.

I've been feeling pretty good, and have had a lot of energy the last 2 nights, but had some crushing exhaustion last week and early this one. Feels like the recuperation from chemo is not a straight line on an incline, but a roller coaster, like so much of life. I have so much energy in general that in comparison, I now realize just how suppressed my vitality was while on chemo; I couldn't really feel how much I was dragging back then.  But I'm still not back to full strength. And I'm still doing some chemo-brained type things. Like last night, I completely spaced out a massage appointment with my very dear friend and best client. Just plain forgot to go. He was quite understanding, but everyone is disappointed when they are expecting a massage and don't get it. Hopefully, I'll get to catch up with him this weekend, considering I'll be out of commission for a while after that.

So as I was saying, I'm feeling pretty good. Hair is coming back, I have eyelashes and eyebrows. Minimal pain, mostly my tongue when I have any, and occasional boo boos seem to heal quickly. Anxiety is creeping in as I anticipate next week's adventures, but I'm still sleeping fairly well. My thumb is not bothering me nearly as much as it once was, which is good as there will be no surgery on it at this time. Can't think of any other symptoms to report offhand right now. A new friend came over yesterday to do some energy work with me to prepare for the surgery; it helps to calm me. I am a soul at peace.

No comments: