Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Night by the Fire

This was an odd weekend. Crammed a lot into it, including a very interesting new massage client (hope I'll see him again), but had to deal with a lot of crap too. I'm unwinding tonight by the fire; wish I could sleep on the sofa and stay home tomorrow. Ah well...duty calls.

Went to the memorial tonight for our friend who passed away a couple of weeks ago. Most of the gang, of which he was a part, who used to spend Thanksgiving together were there.  It was great to see everyone despite my having dreaded it all day long. I thought there would be more people there who would not recognize me, but I didn't have to deal with much of that. And the bar was not smoky, contrary to my expectations. I was delighted to have gotten out and overcome my apprehensions.

The oncologist told me that my best bet to avoid recurrence is to start getting 3 hours a week of cardio activity; I spent some time this weekend shopping Craigslist for an exercycle or elliptical or something that will work in the small, full den where we hang out. I think I'm going to have to order something off Amazon to get a size that will work here. Today however I took the dog for a half-hour walk, worked up a sweat and got my heart rate to aerobic range. Then I helped unload and stack 2 ricks of firewood and ran up and down stairs with lots of loads of clothes as I changed out my closet. I got my exercise.

Symptoms are minimal lately; I am feeling pretty good. Had some raised pain levels of the burning mouth on Friday and found that lead to some lisping as I couldn't control my tongue fully-that was kinda creepy, but it did not continue. Got a good yoga stretch on Saturday so am sore today, but in general, really feeling good. Yay. Life is good.

1 comment:

nancyspoint said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start getting those three hours a week of exercise in. Good for you!