Monday, November 1, 2010

Going Strong

Somehow Sunday was rough for me this week. I felt bad about the way I look, the fact that I am quite weak right now and concerned about how that bodes for my recovery from surgery, my eating and planing for meals which is confusing right at the moment, the way the weekends just fly by...I felt badly about a lot of things and I got kinda cranky with Dave, but I didn't feel tired. That worn out/washed out feeling that stuck around for about 2 weeks after chemo seems to have finally worn off. I feel fairly well back to normal power. Oh...well, I must admit that I did crash out on the sofa at about 9:30 last night and according to Dave had to be practically peeled off of it to get to bed, but up until that point, I was quite clear and functional.

Tomorrow morning I meet with the hand surgeon to talk about the small tumor that has been identified in my left thumb. Most likely a neuroma, most likely benign; I'll know more about it tomorrow. I have no plans to address it surgically, but I guess I'll know more after I meet the doctor. Right now, on a bad day, it tingles in general and is painful when pressed. Most of the time, I don't even notice it.

I've started walking around the clinic without a hat on lately; my hair is soft to the touch and feels like real hair now, not like a 5 o'clock shadow when I stroke my head. It is nearly thick enough to completely hide my scalp now, and showing more dark strands and curl. A funny combination of too short and needs-a-cut, Dave says it looks kinda like a dyed mohawk as there is a V-shaped patch of darker hair right in the middle of my crown. I like it, I love it, I want some more of it...but heaven knows I'm so grateful to have hair on my head. I'll try to get a picture of it soon, but as I have only the built in computer camera to take my picture as Dave doesn't do photo, it's difficult to get the lighting right to see the subtle coloration.

I spaced out on Friday morning when I was scheduled for a fasting blood sugar and cholesterol test; I went ahead and ate breakfast before the labs were drawn. Somehow, despite the thought as I went to bed on Thursday that I would need to remember to skip breakfast on Friday, I just got up and packed my lunch and ate my morning meal as I always do, realizing my goof-up late Friday night. Sheesh...guess I'll have to do the test again. I'm blaming it on chemo-brain; I may be over the fatigue, but I'm still a bit ditzier than usual.

Still not getting enough exercise, but am working on it. Got in the pool today for over an hour with patients today. It was great, very soothing, and a stroke in the right direction.

No comments: