Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day at Home

I woke up feeling sore from lying in one position all night. Moving around as I fed the pets and got some tea and coffee going helped me feel better, but I noticed that the drain on the right side is pulling out and I was concerned about that and anxious that I hadn't yet heard from the Home Health folks. But I managed to re-suppress the pain and to enjoy a brief head-and-feet massage, and when the home health nurse did finally come, she told me that my drain may indeed come out but that it will be okay and that I'm healing well.

I'm really amazed at how well my pain is managed and how able to use my arms I am; I had read from some other women that using the arms is so difficult for several days after this surgery that it's hard to wipe one's own bottom, but I am not having this trouble at all. Maybe because I'm so used to using my arms, so used to being busy and I continue to be, these factors may be involved with why I'm not having any noticeable limitations of my arms. I have to limit myself intentionally to avoid lifting objects over 5 pounds, but the arms are working just fine. The pain is in my chest. The arms don't hurt at all except where the IV was in my right hand and bumped up against a bone in my wrist.

Lots of friends visited, lots of yummy food was delivered. I will never go hungry again! There will be plenty of appropriate meals for Dave when he is finally back and eating, but I will need to freeze some more of the soups. I hate to waste a drop of anything; it's all so good.

Although there is little pain, there is a lot of odd sensation. Pressure in the chest, vibration-like sensations in the breast area, under the arms, below my scapula. Occasional shooting sensations, difficulty swallowing (not new but increased) and moments of crushing exhaustion. Considering this is my first week post-op, I think I'm doing great. Tomorrow I shower; that will be an adventure. Then Mom and I will go visit Dave. That will be another opportunity for excitement, hopefully of the reassuring kind. You can't write stuff like this; truth is stranger than fiction. Dave's doctor is our neighbor and friend. She says he's on the appropriate timetable for healing. I must believe her and trust that all will be well; believing otherwise would be crazy-making. I plan to stay sane. Goodnight moon.

No comments: