Saturday, December 11, 2010

Friday Fireside

I thought I was tired during chemo; sheesh! I'm just really struggling with exhaustion and pain right now. Pain has been steadily decreasing on the whole, but the constant nature of it is very trying and requires a lot of energy to deal with. It definately ramps up in the late afternoon/evening, and today I tried to take less medication by addressing it with acupuncture. That treatment left me sleepy and feeling a shift in my response, but did not prevent the increasing pain level as the day wore on despite my forsaken plan to shop after the needling today and a long nap. Now I'm wearing my TENS unit on the area on my left back that seems to be in spasm-a symptom my surgeon identified as a response to the rib pressure from the front side.

So I'm seeking strategies to manage muscle spasm pain, or to avoid muscle spasm in response to future expansions. And I'm eating like a person starved, which I am clearly not, but I live in a virtual candy store right now filled with many of my favorite treats. Home-baked breads and cookies, and even better, soups, veggie dishes, baked chicken-foods that I cannot resist. And I've been surprisingly hungry. I'm trying to be sure to focus on fresh fruit and veggies, lean protein, lots of supplements, and not to go too much for the easy fix of a sweet treat, but the food that I most crave is soup, and the house if full of a variety of this, much of which I've frozen. That's helpful now and will be when I return to work and have just enough energy to do my job and heat a frozen meal. Or maybe I'll do better, bust off of this plateau and start to find my mojo again. Yeah...surely that will happen soon. I'm not even 2 weeks out yet.

written yesterday, 12/10/10 Friday

No comments: