Thursday, December 2, 2010

Amazing Pain and the lack of it

Written yesterday, Wednesday, 12/2/10

Today has been a very strange day. After the surgery and through most of yesterday, my pain was crushing. Monday night I was basically delirious and fighting blood pressure crashes, and trying to manage the highest pain I've ever experienced. But last night things began to even out; maybe it was the presence of my mom, who arrived around 7 pm, and just cheered me right up. Today I fought some unnecessary anxiety as I anticipated the sting of the removal of my IV from my right hand; it didn't hurt at all. I was tired and feeling weak-kneed as we navigated the discharge from the hospital and traveled home, and then somewhat exhausted as we received the blessing of a parade of homemade soups being delivered, but once fed and settled in, after a brief nap on the sofa, I feel somehow energized and nearly pain free. How can this be?

Billy came by and picked up some of Dave's things and brought them to him at the hospital. He is not doing as well as I am, but not too bad either, especially considering the severity of his illness and intensity of his surgery.

No comments: