Sunday, December 26, 2010

Staycation

We've been basically snowed in today. The friends who had planned to drop by were unable to get out of their driveways safely, and although I surely could have gotten out in my little 4-wheel drive CRV, we chose to stay in on our own and continue our movie marathon. Snow fell lightly all day, small flakes flashing like glitter in the evening, the fire warming and entertaining, and I even cooked dinner, actually making a scratch recipe for the first time in a month or so. It felt good to do it, and it tasted divine. I've over-snacked on sweets, but I've eaten pretty well aside from that, and I think I'm ready to resume a routine, get healthy and greet the new year with some resolutions I will keep.

Pain is interesing; it will always get one's attention. And the larger pain will distract from the smaller. There is a spot on my left side where the drain exited that hurts most sharply of all the various pains associated with this surgery. There's tightness across the entire chest, almost as though I'm wearing a bra that I can't take off - ironic as it was the prospect of no longer needing a bra that was one of the prime motivators for my having this surgery in the first place. A little myofascial release performed on myself helps, but the pain is still quite profound, and somewhat unpredictable. I'm surrendering to the Ox on evenings when I'm home and don't have to go anywhere when the pain level gets up over a 5 or 6 with just the non-opiates. The last couple of nights have been in that category.

My hair is curling too; I need to consult a hairdresser about products that will help control this amount of curl in the short-short cut. The dressings I have that are designed to control ringlets are not appropriate, and the gels and pomades I do have don't seem so be giving it body and preventing frizz at the same time. It's a problem I'm happy to work at solving. I'm happy to have hair, period. It looks pretty cute too in this short-short length and the dark-dark roots of the silver ends. Wonder what it'll do next? Gotta post a new picture soon.

I'm glad I went back to work last week and I'm glad I'll be working this week, but I'm equally glad to have another day off before I go.

No comments: