Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Eve of the Final Infusion

Wow, tomorrow I finally reach the end of the chemo part of this journey. Well, that's not really true, as the chemistry will remain in my system for a while, and it's effects are intended to be long lasting. But the Taxol has been mild, tolerable compared with the Adriamycin/Cytoxin, and things are coming back. Hair, white and straight,  softly covering my head with a shadow of dark shadow amid the snow but not enough of it yet to keep me warm. Pubic hair now beginning to show signs of dark kinky strands, eyebrows filling in, but lashes not yet quite taking. They start to bud, but every week, the little buds disappear. So after tomorrow, perhaps they will go on and grow. I have a very strong appreciation of hair now, and how much comfort it provides cushioning raw edges of eyes, brow ridges, private parts and the cold cranium.

So much I wanted to write today, but as so often happens, I became caught up with food preparation and small household details. White beans and fresh greens from Sylvia's farm, cornbread from Whole Foods. Clean the kitchen, walk the dog, take a bath as I won't want to soak for a couple of days after having the hole poked in my chest accessing my port tomorrow. Had to actually dig out some shampoo and conditioner, which is something that I haven't had to do in a long time. (I've been able to get by on liquid soap on my head but now really have hair that responds to the chemistry of the cleaning product.) Time is eaten up with little bites of chores and distractions, and the blog does not write itself.

Tomorrow I will celebrate by coming home and doing whatever I feel like doing. No particular plans, but my folks come on Thursday. I will celebrate with them, and then continue to celebrate, everyday. Every good day is a good day. Today was one of those, I expect another tomorrow.

1 comment:

Chandani said...

WOO HOO! Congratulations!