Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Preparing for Taxol #2

Today I spoke to Glenda about tomorrow's treatment and the plan to take a Claritin instead of doing the IV Benedryl. Apparently, it's no go. They can give me half as much, but again I was told that the risk of an allergic reaction is too great and it is Infusion Center policy to give IV antihistimines for the first 2 infusions, and to consider oral administration after that. A patient of mine who has been through this treatment told me that she had the same trouble and that they gave her the full dose the first time, half the second, oral administration of 2 pills the third, one pill the fourth and nothing after that, so I guess I will have to hang in with this and see how it goes. I do not intend to have an allergic reaction. I am not happy about the Benedryl.

I have to remember to put my Emla cream on the port 2 hours in advance of the blood draw, though; I was tardy with it last time and it was truly painful to get stuck. I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me. It may be embarrasing when the alarm goes off but I'll deal with that. The port accessing is hard enough; I don't need it to also be painful.

Today was a much better day than yesterday. I took regular walks at regular intervals, starting with a pre-work promenade with the dog, and then a couple of 15-20 minute bouts on the track at work. I've also cleaned off the rebounder I bought at a Goodwill back in LA before we moved to Tennessee and which has been gathering dust in the garage for the past 12 years and brought it onto the back porch and have spent a few minutes on it last night and this morning. It's really too bloody hot today to do anything outside, amazing that I made it out for the dog walk this morning. But the increased activity today has helped me, I think, and I do feel much less lethargic than I did yesterday. I'm hoping my energy will continue to increase now. I took some iron this morning too. I don't think I'm in danger of hemachromatosis, so I'll keep taking it.

I need to find a good book to take to the clinic with me tomorrow. They have lovely flat screen TVs with DVD players in all the treatment rooms, but not enough remotes to go around. Without that, it's useless. So no point in bringing movies to watch. Maybe I'll bring this computer and try to write or watch something on this. That's probably the ticket. Then Dave doesn't have to be inflicted with my TV junk fascinations, like Big Love or Mad Men. I don't usually watch much TV except for a couple of late night shows, but particularly during something like the infusion, it's calming to have a distraction like that. And I still have several movies on loan from my sister waiting to be watched-yeah, I'll bring the computer. Now I have to go pack some sandwiches for Dave to bring down to the center when he meets me for the treatment; we tried the food from the cafeteria last week and won't make that mistake again. We'll be happier with a brown bagger.

No comments: