Sunday, August 22, 2010

Where to start....

Today was a funny day; despite feeling well and productive yesterday, I just found myself in a state of agitation around midday. I keep thinking that I want to write about it,  but actually have fallen into a reverie of TV watching and I just don't feel like doing anything else. I still think it's steroids messing with me. I'm more tired than I realize.

The neuropathy is for now (knock on wood) under control, diminished since the last infusion, very minimal. But there is a nodule on the left thumb that feels like a little neuroma or something. I will point it out to Glenda at my appointment on Wednesday. I'm also going to call Dr. W, with whom I consulted before my initial surgery and arrange another office visit with him. I want to know how often he feels I should be followed and whether he thinks an MRI in the near future is appropriate. And I want to know if in his opinion a mastectomy might be a realistic alternative to radiation.

I've spoken to Dr. R about the radiation-he recommends a very aggressive approach with treatment to the supra-axillary and supra- and infra-clavicular nodes, also possibly sub-sternal. Dr. C stated that she would not recommend radiating the nodes due to the potential severity of side effects and inconclusive studies regarding the level of benefit. So if we were to choose not to radiate the lymph nodes, then, why not a mastectomy instead; that would answer the right-breast question, the potential for a primary cancer there, not just local recurrence. I didn't ask this question, as Sharon pointed out to me when she dropped by to visit yesterday. And I didn't ask Dr. C if she was stating the she would not do any lymph node radiation or only referring to axillary nodes. So many questions to ask, so much detail to remember to include in each query, even when taking notes during appointments, there is a huge amount to synthesize.

My surgeon Dr K's office never got back to me last week with a time for a consultation despite our conversation regarding this and I'm not sure whether I should call them again or wait a bit. His oncological group is moving their base of operations at the end of the month and getting appointments and answers is very tough right now, and it begins to feel like I may want to switch breast surgeons and have a primary provider for my cancer concerns be one who has given me his cell phone number. May I never abuse that privilege, and may I choose wisely.

1 comment:

linda said...

I switched oncologists in the middle of treatment and am glad I did.