Sunday, August 15, 2010

Saturday in the heat wave

written last night:
It's the oddest thing; even as I write this, I'm sort of attending a reunion in Los Angeles via Skype. The gathering is a bunch of folks who worked at a couple of restaurants that were kind of legendary in LA in the 70's & 80's, and all of the waiters and waitresses, bussers and hostesses had to audition to get the job. Mostly singers and musicians, but also jugglers, puppeteers, actors....all kinds of entertainers worked there. I was at one or the other of the restaurants for 7 years...hard to imagine now. It was a whole lot of fun. My current job is great, and I find it fun, but not like that!

So right now I'm eavesdropping visually as well as audibly, and it's going to be interesting to see if I even recognize anyone if and when anyone comes over to talk to me; furthermore, will anyone recognize me. The call caught me sitting on the couch with my hair off and I'm currently wearing a straight wig so I doubt anyone will know me as no one here in town recognizes me when first seeing me in this do.  I'm virtually attending through a laptop sitting on a table in this banquet room and have a very good line of sight at a lot of midsections. This was a great idea in theory, but in practice I feel like an intruder. We'll see how long I last. (actually was online for 2 hours before the connection went down, and I'm glad I did it; if I ever do something like this again, will have to make better plans to be sure to have a chance to actually speak to folks.)

It's still hot as Hades here and I had a hard time getting moving this morning. Flaked out on the yoga class, and didn't get around to any exercise this afternoon as I had planned. Had lunch with Trish and a friend of hers who has just been diagnosed and is still reeling with the news. The stages of grief must be gone through with this diagnosis. Then there's the next set of grieving levels to conquer when you are given the news that there has been lymph node involvement. She is just now dealing with that. I'm glad to have that hit behind me. I'm doing so well, just trying to stay positive now that I have accepted that I will also be doing radiation and that I'm starting to experience the neuropathy I had hoped to avoid. The No Surrender Breast Cancer Survivor website is very helpful and I was able to get a bunch of great information about treatment and complementary approaches from them. I will have to ask about exercise, because I assume it is always a good choice but read something that I can't remember the source of now that suggested that I may be better to avoid much strenuous activity when doing Taxol. I'd like that excuse today to assuage my guilty conscience.

No comments: