Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday celebration

I had a lovely day today on into the evening. Slept late (until almost 9 am!) and after Dave left for a day of music teaching I took the dog to the West Side Farmer's Market and picked up the week's veggies. Stopped by to visit my friend Rachel, then dropped dog and veggies off at home and headed to the center for a yoga class. I did much better in yoga this week than last, feeling only slightly dizzy and, having taken my iron pill, quite well energized. I was able to stick it out through the entire class today.

Went home for lunch after class and made a cucumber/tomato/yogurt salad with the fresh veggies-so good-and then made wheatgrass juice in the vitamix (with water and ice, then strained through a fine mesh gold coffee filter) and a big pitcher of lemon/lime-aide sweetened with agave nectar. I puttered around the house and vacuumed, cleaned up and put away things that had been left out during the busy week and prepared for my boss's daughter's wedding tonight, laying out clothes and making sure all was ready to go. I finally hit the wall and laid down on the sofa to rest just as Dave was getting home. A very energetic day. I like Saturdays to be that way.

The wedding was beautiful; bi-lingual as the groom has recently moved to the US from Spain and is still learning the American English language. He and his family were charming and the bride was adorable, uncontained in her exuberance. I was honored to be there. But as the evening wore on the music became louder and, for us, it was time to go as soon as the cake was served. In the past, I have always been one of those who feels that wedding cake must be consumed for luck and in honor of tradition, and I would usually wrap a piece in a napkin to bring home...a piece of cake to dream on. But, with as few sweets as I eat these days and with how squeamish I feel about them, the piece tonight tasted off-putting, not how I remember wedding cake to taste at all. I had been planning to take some home but after sampling a bit, changed my mind. And I had mused about and looked forward to it all day. Funny how things and our tastes change.

I have not had any further itching for the past couple of days; it was odd how itchy I was Wednesday night and then again on Thursday. Mostly my face, like I'd suddenly developed an allergy to my makeup; it hasn't bothered me before this week. I'm hoping that's not an allergic reaction to chemo that will prevent me from being able to use the Claritin instead of Benedryl, but I'll tell the team about it for sure. But fortunately, as I said, I'm not having any more of it now. I'm really feeling good.

No comments: