Monday, June 14, 2010

Look Good, Feel Better

I took time out of the middle of the day today to go the American Cancer Society's "Look Good, Feel Better" program.  My day at the office was off to an awkward start anyway, and I was glad to take a break. All I'd been told was that the event would take place at the Sarah Cannon Cancer Center at Centennial Hospital. It was amazing how difficult it was to find the particular location within that huge medical megapolis. I did eventually find the group and was given a very generous package of makeup and a lot of great tips on how to fix myself up to overcome the pallor and lack of eyebrows and lashes that will result from chemo. So far, I've still got my facial hair, but along with my mane, it's dwindling.

Once again today, I got a lot of positive input on the way I look with my crew cut. I had fun trying on a couple of wigs too; all with straight or straight-ish locks. It's so interesting to see my face framed by straight hair. I've never been much of a make-up user, but I did like the result today. I'll be making good use of the kit I received.

I have been mainly un-queasy for the last couple of days and didn't even feel the need for any of the Zofran today. I did miss my afternoon snack because it was just too darn busy at the office, and I considered a pill during that time, but a ginger candy took care of things. An afternoon rainshower cooled the air and I ran home to walk the dog. A lovely day.

I feel really good right now; I wonder if it is the attention I'm paying to nutrition, or the amount of rest I'm getting, the meditation, the healing walk, the lowered expectations...I don't know what to attribute this to. I of course would prefer to be feeling this well without the chemo/cancer kicking experience, but here I am and I feel great. I'll take every good day with relish. Today is one of the good ones. 

No comments: