Saturday, June 26, 2010

Swimming back up out of the miasma

This treatment was a doozy. I have been more subdued by this than either of the others. The nurses had warned me that sometimes the 3rd is the charm, and it seems that this is true in my case. Not only have I been tired, but I've been sore all over. Tender to the touch in the neck, shoulders, chest, breasts, back, base of my skull, jaw...my legs and feet are okay, at least.

I did back out of the staff retreat yesterday; they went to Carnton Mansion, a wonderful historic site of the Civil War, where I have spent some amazing times, but I'm not up to the heat and the bugs at the moment. Hated to miss it, but needed the rest. And the continued rest into today. I did get out a bit this morning, I met Grace and Billy and went Farmers' Market hopping, and spent a couple of hours seeking shade and enjoying a lemonade sweetened with agave...delicious....but I crashed and had to head home. Spent the afternoon in bed, zoning in and out of consciousness and watching NCIS in the background. Aside from feeling so weak, it's pleasant to just chill out like this.

Once Dave got home, I took a nice hot soak in the tub, after giving myself a massage, and felt much less achy afterward. So we went out to dinner at one of our favorite spots-a little Persian restaurant in the neighborhood. As soon as we got there, a storm hit. Power flickered and went out for a bit, but came back on and we were able to eat our meal by electric lights. Got soaked running out to the car, but who cares-it's warm. On the way home, we passed limbs in the street, dodged traffic at intersections where the lights were out and narrowly missed driving into a half-downed power line in our street. Wouldn't that have been ironic? Death by accidental electrocution while on chemo? I made my first-ever 911 call to inform the powers that be. Hope nobody ran into it before the fire department got out here to fix it.

No comments: