Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday June 1; back to the office

I walked in today expecting a full schedule of 8 patients and was concerned about how I was going to get through that, not yet trusting my level of energy. In reality, every day of life is that way-one never knows when we might just hit a wall. But I had a couple of cancellations, and took a long walk and a leisurely lunch, and managed to do pretty well with work except for a mid-afternoon attack of heartburn. Time to bring a bucket of Tums to the office! Thank goodness Jane already had some there.

Carey seems to be making it her personal mission to ensure that I get my exercise, and I'm grateful for the cheer-leading on that. It's so easy to get distracted by minor details while in the office and to miss available moments to get out and get some sunshine or work up a sweat, or just experience a change of environment. I get lost in the computer or in trying to reorganize the mess on my desk and often miss stress-reduction opportunities. But Carey helped my avoid that again today and we took a walk around the old Peabody campus-a lovely walk, lots of folks take advantage of it-and today I was able to maintain a normal pace, although my empty stomach limited the amount of time I was able to spend; I'm finding that when I'm hungry, it's critical to eat right away to stave off nausea and maximize energy.  I've got a pantry of snacks at my desk, but I think the dry crackers I tried this afternoon might have led to the heartburn. Gotta be careful about what I pick. 

I arrived home to my dog Xena panting at the door expecting her walk, and once I'd gotten some food in me, I obliged. It feels good to be getting this much exercise, still, I'm missing my yoga practice. My port, which I am very grateful to have, still pulls at me a bit and is irritated by my bra strap running right alongside it, and it's not 2 weeks since the surgery to put it in, so I'm still not cleared to put weight into my arms anyway. And I'm not sure how much of my head going up and down I'm going to be good with, so I will be careful when starting back to morning sun salutations. I want to start doing some Tai Chi again, though; I think that will be very healing.

I'm trying to decide if I feel energetic enough to do a few massages. I miss it,  miss my clients, and the stretching out that my own body gets from doing the work. But I don't want to over-extend my energy. Guess I'll have to continue to play it by ear.

No comments: